The Core Team
Steve Powell - Operations Director
Prior to joining Thornton Steve was part of the core team at UNO Interiors having joined them early in 2006 as senior Project Manager leading onto Operations Manager.
Steve started his career as a joiner moving into the commercial side of the industry soon after completing his joinery training. As a time served joiner with an impressive array of skills and experience project management soon became his core discipline gathered across many industries creating that “turn key” project everybody talks about.
Previous employers include Alan Nuttall Group; Galliford Try Construction; ROL Lea Gibson; Timber Tailors; Chequers Group
Project experience examples:
- All aspects of the Operations role including more recently projects for Waterstone's, Alpha Retail and Britannia Building Society.
- Shell Gold Programme – Senior Project Manager (Alan Nuttall) involved in a multi-million multi-site roll-out programme with Shell, Henry Riley and Alliance Planova.
- Loon Fung (London) – senior project manager for a hi-tech Chinese supermarket development, which entailed the conversion of a pre war industrial unit to a specialist bespoke building, flooring, roofing, joinery, drainage, electrical, mechanical & electrical and refrigeration were part of the remit in a very demanding tight programme period.
- Sainsbury’s – account management for a roll out of specialist retail areas and signage work.
- Edward Herbert Building – senior project manager for the redevelopment and refurbishment of a Student Union Bar at Loughborough University. The project - which included flooring, wall coverings, roofing, decoration, mechanical and electrical, structural steel and landscaping - was carried out in the summer closedown handing over on time to accommodate the new term starting.
- Many Duty free projects both airside and landside at Airports including Heathrow, Gatwick, Manchester, Stanstead, Luton, Birmingham, Glasgow and Edinburgh.